For the audio collection of tongue twisters, see our Tongue Twisters page.
Tongue twisters help with fluency, pronunciation, and natural linking sounds. They are a great way to begin a class with some jump and can be fun for students who have trouble with specific sounds. This section has a varied collection of original, modified, and classic tongue twisters.
What to do
Simply write a tongue twister on the board or overhead and let students do their best at saying them. You can try giving them an example yourself or check out our Tongue Twister page for full, easy-access audio of all the tongue twisters listed here.
- Focus on lip movement and articulation. Linking sounds together often makes tongue twisters harder to say.
- Practice ahead of time so you know what you’re doing, but don’t be afraid to make mistakes!
- Having a quick competition between brave students can be fun (be sure to praise their efforts).
- Use these tongue twisters to help springboard into pronunciation classes.
1. A big bug bit a bold bald bear
and the bold bald bear bled blood badly
2. Betty Botter had some butter
But her butter was bitter
To bake that bitter butter
Would make her batter bitter
So Betty Botter bought some better butter
And the better butter made her batter better!
3. Double bubble gum bubbles double
4. Girl gargoyle guy gargoyle
5. Gary’s gut grossly grew gooey glue
6. Give Papa a proper cup of coffee
In a proper copper coffee cup
7. I’m a mother pheasant plucker
I pluck mother pheasants
I’m the most pleasant mother pheasant plucker
Who ever plucked a mother pheasant
8. The Pacific is a specific ocean
9. Philip found four flip-flops
10. Private pirates pilot private pirate ships
11. Red lorry yellow lorry
12. A rubber lover’s mother blubbers
13. She said she should sit
14. She sells seashells on the seashore
15. Six smart sharp sharks
16. The sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick
17. A skunk sat on a stump and thunk the stump stunk, but the stump thunk the skunk stunk
18. Truly rural ruler
19. We reweave rips
20. Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
21. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Go to English Genie’s Tongue Twisters page for audio recordings of this list.